Best Video Games for Kids to PlayTaiwo Opadotun
Video games for kids have ample benefits, for instance, it improves children’s creativity and problem solving abilities. Certainly, children need to be monitored so that they can play the right video games. The good thing is there is a wide variety of appropriate video games for kids ranging from Adventure, sports, puzzles, and open world to narratives.
In this article, we have brought together all the information parents need to choose appropriate video games for kids to play. This includes parental controls, safe gaming tips for online games for kids, and a list of available video games that are safe for children to play with little supervision from parents. Before then, let’s examine some key benefits of video games for kids
Benefits of Video Games for Kids
- Video games spark creativity – At young age creativity and imaginative ability of kids are limitless. Video games for kids help to bring it to life. Minecraft and big brain academy allow kids to build up things or combine shapes in a very creative way.
- Improves problem-solving skills – Video games help brain development in kids. The Legend of Zelda game excitingly does this. To advance in the game kids have to search, negotiate, plan, and try different approaches to complete each level. It spikes problem-solving ability in kids.
- Picking up new hobbies – Some of the sports games bring out some interest in kids. Especially when they play with their favourite players like Messi. They can develop passion and interest to play football professionally.
- Adds to knowledge – Meanwhile, some of the useful knowledge kids need can be gotten from video games. Names of countries and their capital can be learned from playing games. Age of Empires may spark a child’s interest in world history, geography, ancient cultures, and international relations, especially if parents are alert to opportunities.
- Improving family bonding – Children love to share their knowledge or new skills they just acquired with their parents. Especially after finishing a challenging game, they will want to share their success and also include their parents in the mix. This encourages them to share their challenges and triumphs.
How to Choose Appropriate Video Games for Kids
- Appropriate game console – Firstly, to choose the best video games for kids you must carefully choose the game console to fit what you want to achieve. They are majorly three (Nintendo Switch, Sony Play stations, and Microsoft Xbox) in the competitive market all trying to get parents’ attention and give kids a good playing time. The Nintendo Switch console is perceived as a console for kids because of its advanced parental control feature, versatility, and game collections that can be played on it. Although other consoles can also be used by kids to play games, the Nintendo Switch just gives more control. You can check to see the best video game console for your kid here
- Read Reviews – Secondly, reviews are a great way to know if the video game will be safe to play for your kid. There is lots of games review website that you can go to check exactly what the games is about. We have hand picked some valuable game review websites for you.
- Play the games – Playing the game yourself is another great way to know what the game is about. So you can ascertain for yourself.
- Choose from Child’s interests – Take note of your child’s interests to choose games for them. Some of them like music “Just Dance 2022” might be the right game for them.
Consider PEGI ratings before choosing online games for kids
All games have their rating in form of PEGI. It is always written in the bottom left or right corner of the game pack or digital graphics online. PEGI 18 means it has a touch of adult content and graphics that might not be suitable for children. Therefore, checking the PEGI will allow parents to choose appropriate online games for kids
PEGI as earlier stated stands for Pan European Gaming Information. Games are always certified by it to make it easier for selection by age. It is necessary to point out that the PEGI rating is not an indication of how difficult the game is to play, but a function of age.
- PEGI 16 – This indicates that the game needs a high level of parental control. It is majorly for kids aged 16 years and above.
- PEGI 12 – It requires little parental guidance and can be played by kids aged 12 years above.
- PEGI 7 – When you see this, it means you do not need any parental guidance other than to regulate the playtime for your kids. Games with this PEGI can be played by 7-year-old kids and above.
- PEGI 3 – This means it is suitable for kids age 3 and above. It does not contain sounds or images that are likely to frighten kids.
How to set Parental controls for your kids’ console
Parental controls are features of gaming consoles that allow parents to monitor and restrict what their children do online. Parents can record their activities, limit their time online and keep a record of every interaction they make online via the console.
Meanwhile, one of the Nintendo Switch’s features that stands out among other consoles is its robust parental controls. They are advanced and easy to configure. Here are quick steps to get you started on how to configure parental control on the Nintendo Switch console.
1. Open up the systems settings section from the Nintendo Switch’s home page.
2. Go to parental controls, then select this console and then the restriction level.
3. If you choose custom settings, you can restrict certain game ages, social media posts, online features, and playing time.
15 video games kids can play
FIFA 22 (20% discount on VG Stores)
FIFA 22 Sports game is a popular video game that can be played by kids without fear of violence or vulgar word. It can be played as a healthy competition between kids and parents.
The PEGI 3 game can be played by aged 3 years and above. The online multiplayer mode makes it possible for children to meet their peers online to play video games in a novel way without getting bored.
Sackboy: A big adventure
Moreover, Sackboy is a fun character that kids love to play with. The PEGI-7 rated online game for kids allows kids to take Sackboy on an epic 3D platforming adventure with their friends. VEX, a villain that spreads fear, captures Sackboy’s friends and it all rests on his shoulder to save his friends in the most educative and problem-solving way. The PS5 exclusive adventure game has a multiplayer feature that allows kids to play with their friends and make more friends online.
Available on Playstation 5
Overcooked is a co-op cooking game for 1-4 players. It builds teamwork and skills of cooperation and coordination in kids. Kids will work together to prepare the best meal for customers at a restaurant. They will learn about food and recipes that even adults do not consciously know about. In the PEGI-3 rated game, kids will cook up a range of new recipes including sushi, cakes, burgers, and pizzas. It employs tactics and encourages kids to make friends online via its online multiplayer mode. Let the cooking begin!
Available on Playstation 4
Kids get a chance to compete in one of the most critically acclaimed sports games of all time!. The racing game allows kids to customize the games in unlimited ways. Kids get the chance to play in online Competitive Playlists and climb the ranks! Each rank earns unique Competitive Rewards each season!.
If they can imagine it, they can probably do it in the world of Minecraft. This game improves the creativity of kids. It is one of the most popular online games for kids that work on their creativity. Minecraft for kids has four different modes: creative, survival, hardcore, and adventure. Kids can decide to go for bow and arrow target practice, go java coding, or create new weapons themselves to fight mobs. The PEGI-3 rated video game can be played by kids aged 3 years and above.
Similarly, players are allowed to explore their world, collecting, adventuring, and riding dragons. It is a creative game where players can build structures by collecting blueprints as they explore their environment. Players can mount any animals that allow them to ride them, they can even ride a lion if they so, please. Chips collected can be used to unlock items to design customized weapons to face enemies. It is a video game that is suited for three years and above as it is rated PEGI-3.
Available on Switch
Super Mario 3D All-Stars
This video game is now 35 years. Pointing to the fact that it is a game popular among kids. It is not short of fun at any point in time. Super Mario 3D All-Stars put three of Mario’s greatest hits, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy, all in one package. Kids have a lot of fun playing this game you can get it on VGStores.
Team Sonic Racing
Furthermore, fans of Sonic force would love Team Sonic racing playable on Playstation and Nintendo Switch consoles. It is a competitive video game for kids in which they can choose from 15 players in the Sonic universe to compete in the race using sports cars. With the new Sonic the Hedgehog 2 movie, children will love to play with the character they have seen in the movie. It will be a great way for kids to relax and enjoy the holiday period. The PEGI – 7 rated video game has a multiplayer mode that allows kids to play with their friends online.
Available on Playstation 4
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
In addition, the famous game played on Nintendo Switch recently won the Best Family Game award at The Games Award 2020.It is an easy game to play and it makes kids learn about different animals. Children can learn a great deal from the famous video game as they organize an animal-human community in the game.
Just Dance 2022
This game can be so much fun for parents and children to bond during the holidays. Get down to over 40 chart-topping new hits from huge acts like Camila Cabello, Taylor Swift, and Billie Eilish. Imagine playing a popular song and competing to get the dance step right to whoop your kid on the game console. It’s a great way to interact with your kids and get everyone off the couch and moving.
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Ratchet and Clank may be the closest thing Sony has that is close to a family-kid game. It is a single player, third person (meaning the camera is behind the character’s back) action platformer/shooter. Its gameplay involves a lot of running, jumping, exploring, and shooting!
It can be played on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. The game was released alongside an animated comedy series in 2016. Although the movie may have been long forgotten, the games still resonate with the latest consoles in 2022.
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Web-slinging has never felt so good in this vast recreation of New York City that’s full of colorful characters and crimes to stop. The PEGI-16 rated video game for kids is only suitable for children in their teens, from thirteen years upward. With Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales range of characters and a lot of crime to stop, the friendly neighborhood spider man turns into a New York community superhero.
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
In addition, racing games are one of the best genres of video games for kids. The Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled game is one of the best arcade racing games presently. The crash is back on the driver’s seat, waiting for the right controller to zoom it to glory. Parents can keep their kids busy with this game while they take care of other things.
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Above all, the primary target audience for Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy are kids. It does not contain swearing or any violence. The only challenge is to get past obstacles like fire and crush enemies by jumping on them. The PEGI-7 game in its fully-remastered graphical glory! It is one of the best video games for kids to play and have fun with.
Available on Playstation 4
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
The predecessor of this kid-friendly game might be a little overwhelming for kids. Hence, the developer looked into developing a more friendly version. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening gives all room for kids to explore. The toy looking interface makes kids want to play more. All kids love to play with their toys!
Available on Nintendo Switch
Tips for Safe Gaming online (Kids)
The time kids spend playing video games should be monitored and limited with the parental control feature on the console.
Parents should make sure they (kids) do not give personal information to strangers online.
Passwords should be at least eight characters (or longer) and include a mix of letters, numbers, and symbols.
Above all, parents should not allow kids to meet up physically with strangers they meet online while gaming or give personal information such as their real names.
Why buy at VG Stores
It will be best for parents to choose a video game store that can deliver fast and that delivers quality video games.
VG Stores offers 24hrs delivery for orders of video games and consoles made within Lagos state and a 48 – 72hrs delivery to any other part of the country. The store also offers a buy now pay later payment option to ease the financial hassle of buying video games for kids. You can choose any of the games and pay with installments spread within a specific time.